Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Putting to rest a dream



10 Years ago I convinced Sanford that we could earn income off the farm by growing raspberries. This was a key factor in winning my husband's cooperation in making the farm our home. My dad let us plow up the hay field in preparation of planting a U-pick raspberry patch. Sanford, Justin, Lynnea, and I planted 1000 raspberry starts in the muddy spring before we bought the farm in October of 2000. My dream of having a U-pick raspberry farm has been a thorny experiment ever since.

This past Saturday, we accepted the help of two high schoolers from Ashland First Baptist Church to remove the irrigation lines and fence stakes from the weedy remains of what was once my cherished raspberry patch. The hope of continuing this endeavor actually died two years ago during the time of my father's passing, but I had realized the year before that it had very little chance of surviving as long as I and Sanford both worked other jobs.


I have now accepted the passing away of this dream. Saturday was the burial, the putting to rest of that dream and the turning point to face what lies ahead for Sanford and me. Thank you, Sanford, for risking this experiment and giving me 9 years of living on this 11 acres of rock and thistle I call home. Thank you, Sanford, for trying to help me realize a dream and then helping me put it to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment