Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Finding long lost relatives

I found out that a section of the Rogue River is named "Gleason Bar." I discovered this when Sanford and I went for an Autumn hike recently. The hike was beautiful. We hiked from Graves Creek to Whiskey Creek, a 6 mike hike there and back. I was surprised to see my maiden name on the Forest Service map. I've been told, by relatives visiting Ireland, that "Gleason" is an English corruption of the Irish name Gleeson. Therefore, I am certain I must be related somehow to the person this part of the Rogue River is named after, even though there is no clear link that I know of; but the proof came only two days later when I attended the annual Sunny Valley Applegate Trail celebration with my mother. We discovered a lone surviving photograph of the early Gleason pioneer women. They hold a remarkable resemblence to my mother and me. I have always felt I had pioneer blood in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment